Different Types of Eye Doctors

Whether you’ve had to get glasses, contacts, or test your vision with those large letter pyramids, you’ve probably had to see an eye doctor once or twice. There are three different types of eye doctors that you can visit: Optometrists, ophthalmologists, and opticians. They all work with your eyes, but do different things for you.

Optometrists are the most common type of eye doctors, and they are the ones that check you out for vision problems and check if you need glasses. While they can’t prescribe them, they can examine your eyes and vision to give recommendations on glasses and contact lenses that will work for you.

Sometimes they are even given the license to treat eye problems, such as dry eye or itchy eye, and can give medication to make the problems go away. When you have an eye-related surgery, optometrists are the people you go too before and after the procedure to get tips and support.

Another “O” Doctor

Now, optometrists work closely with ophthalmologists, who can not only provide eye care but is more of an eye doctor. They can give you medications, eye exams, and even eye surgery. So if you are having a problem with your eyes, these people are the ones to go too.

All those tests you take with the letter pyramid and the funny looking machine that flips between different panes of glass, that’s all for figuring out if you need glasses and what type to give you for your unique vision style. Then they write the prescription for you.

Finally, opticians are the third type of eye doctors in Lakewood who look at your eyes, and they are the ones who actually give you the glasses. You bring in a prescription from an ophthalmologist to your optician, and they make sure that you get the right pair and it complements your unique color and style.

eye doctors in Lakewoodtreat your disease

What doctor to see

The good news is that both optometrists and ophthalmologists can both do the basics. They can look at your eyes, examine them for potential problems, and write prescriptions for glasses and contacts. It’s simply a matter of personal preference, unless you have a medical problem. If you suffer from a disease or problem with your eyes, then you need to be a bit more selective.

An ophthalmologist is the type of person who can actually treat your disease, either through eye surgery or medication. Sometimes you can go to your local ophthalmologist, while at other times you’ll need to find a specialist.

Then they’ll decide the best course of treatment for you, whether it is medical, surgical, or both. If the doctor treating you is not your primary doctor, they’ll work with you for the duration of fixing the problem, and then send you back to your regular care doctor.

It’s a good practice to know what each of the doctors can do, so you can make sure that you place yourself in good hands when things go wrong with your eyes.